Sunday, January 11, 2009

All Things Become New


Since coming into this New Year, I've been leaning on a passage from 2 Corinthians 5:17 which affirms that as a "new creation in Christ, all things become new." The key however, is found in those two words, "in Christ." You see, until we come into a relationship with Christ we are in darkness, and although a person may have a natural gifting in music, the songs they sing are nothing more than songs. A person may sing a song about God and let's face it, there are many secular artists who occasionally sing crossover songs, but unless they are "in Christ" it is nothing more than a song. Worship isn't based on the lyrics of the song. Worship is based on the heart of the singer. Before entering into a personal relationship with Christ I attended church with my parents and I even sang occasional specials because it was a chance for me to highlight my own talent. I would play guitar and sing for the radio program and I would sing specials with the choir, but it wasn't about God. The truth is, it was about me. People may have been ministered to and the Lord may have used it to touch lives, but that still didn't make it an act of worship on my part because my motives were all wrong. But the minute I committed my life to Christ everything changed. In a split moment I was a new creation in Christ and all things became new, including my worship. I very quickly began to realize the gift that God had given me and that it wasn't about me. It was about Christ. So let me challenge you with this thought as well; If your heart's not in it then it really isn't worship. Let the Lord put a new song in your heart and kindle a fresh desire to bring Him glory in all you do and say. Allow the Lord to make all things new in you for 2009 and then express it to Him through the song in your heart!

1 comment: