Monday, December 29, 2008

A New Song for a New Year

As a musician and song writer I love it when the Bible talks about singing a new song unto the Lord. There's something so special about being able to sit down with my guitar and work out a new hook, or sing a new melody. And it's so awesome when the Lord puts a new message in my heart and the lyrics begin to come to me. I always know it's from the Lord. Some 20 years ago I remember the Lord awoke me from a dead sleep, and the lyrics to a song I entitled "The Author and the Finisher" lept into my mind. Within 10 minutes I had wrote the chorus, 2 verses and a bridge. Minutes later the power of the Lord moved on me and I was filled with the Holy Spirit. That particular song has always been special to me because of what God did in my life that night. Now granted, songwriting usually doesn't come that easy for me, but every new song is special. As we approach the new year people will be thinking about their resolutions and the new things they want to accomplish or maybe change in their life. But personally, I was drawn to a passage in Psalms 40:3 where it says, "He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." Whether you actually write a new song or not, I believe the Lord can do something new and fresh in your life this year that will make your heart sing and draw others to trust in the Lord. I believe that God can use your life as an instrument in his hands and if you allow him to be the minstrel over you, he will make a beautful melody through you that the world will come to love. So as we approach 2009 - pray that God will make a new song for the new year through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment